Celebrated annually on June 19, Juneteenth commemorates the date that enslaved Black Americans in the United States were declared free. Also known as “America’s second Independence Day,” it has been recognized in parts of the U.S. since 1865 but only just became a federal holiday in 2021.
Throughout metro Atlanta, there are many events taking place where attendees of all ages can learn about and celebrate the holiday, including:
• Juneteenth Atlanta Parade & Music Festival
• Atlanta History Center’s Jubilee on the Lawn
• City of Fulton Juneteenth Celebration
• Acworth’s Concert on the Green: A Juneteenth Celebration
• Taste Urban Atlanta – Celebrating Juneteenth Edition
– De’Andra Gaston, The Atlanta 100